What licence do I need to use music online?

You need an online music licence if you’re hosting content on your website, or providing on demand streaming, permanent downloads, podcasts, webcasting and general entertainment content.

The licences we provide are:

  • Online Live Concerts Licence (OLC) used for live stream a concert in the UK or one of our managed territories (Malta, Cyprus, Gibraltar, The Bahamas or Bermuda).
    Read more about OLC
  • General Entertainment Online Licence (GEOL) used for medium to large online services making general entertainment content available in the UK, such as TV programmes that contain music but are not a pure music service.
    Read more about GEOL
  • Limited Online Music Licence (LOML) used for small digital services in the UK which offer on-demand streaming, permanent downloads, podcasts, webcasting and audiovisual content to UK audiences.
    Read more about LOML
  • Limited Online Music Licence Plus (LOML+) used for medium-sized digital services which offer on-demand streaming, permanent downloads and webcasting to a UK audience.
    Read more about LOML+
  • Performing Right Online Licence (PROL) used for digital services that have pre-cleared the mechanical rights separately and need to license the communication to the public of our members’ music via streaming or downloading.
    Read more about PROL
  • Music Downloads Licence (MDL) used for music downloading services that expect to exceed £200,000 in annual revenue.
    Read more about MDL
  • Multi-territory Licencing If you are planning to launch a music service that will be available in the UK and any other European territory, and you expect your revenue to exceed £200,000, please contact us.
    Read more about Online multi-territory licensing

These licences cover the communication to the public and associated mechanical rights of our members’ music through all digital services, including websites.

These licences do not cover content on third party websites and social media platforms such as YouTube or Facebook. Those wishing to live-stream via platforms such as Facebook and YouTube should be covered by the existing licensing agreements in place with those platforms. There are currently no licensing arrangements in place with Twitter or Twitch, negotiations are currently taking place with both of these companies. Please ensure you follow the terms of use and copyright requirements of each respective platform.

switching account

Switching your account...