Do I need a music licence?

If you use, play or perform music in your business or organisation, the chances are you need a music licence.

We are committed to representing the interests of songwriters, artists and musicians to ensure they are paid for their music and artistry. We represent members by securing their royalties and paying them whenever their music is performed, broadcast, streamed, downloaded, played in public, or used in film and TV.

What do you need a licence for?

By purchasing a licence you are supporting the future of music by helping to ensure its creators are paid for their work, so that the people who write, perform & record it can continue making the music you love.

What kind of music licence do I need?

There are different licences available depending on how you use music. We’re here to help you find the right licence for your needs.

Contact us

If you need help purchasing a licence email us at

If you already know what licence you need click here.


Using music online in the UK and internationally

Our helpful tool will help you find the right licence, whether you're streaming, hosting downloads, using music in your visual content or podcast.

Get your online music licence
blue laser and crowds

Live music

Our helpful tool will help you find the right licence, whether you're a venue, promoter, or performer.

Live music licences
Man dubbing looking at a laptop and monitor with microphone on the left

Dubbing music

Are you dubbing (copying) music for your fitness class or DJ set? Then you will need a ProDub licence.

Learn more

Playing music at work

If you run a café, shop, gym or any other workplace that plays music, you will need a music licence.

Music at work licences
microphone in sound studio

Using music on the radio

Licences for commercial, community, hospital, long-term and other radio.

Learn more
person wearing headphones looking at screen with microphone

Using music on television

TV broadcasters and independent production companies.

Learn more
composer playing piano

Releasing recorded music

Licences for releasing music, including physical media, audio products, imports, magazine and newspaper covermounts, specialist music products and other recorded works.

learn more
Microphone and screen

Using music in your content

Looking for that perfect track to amplify your content? Get advice, search options and find the license that fits your music use with our helpful tool.

Find out more
female in  a studio

Production music for film, television, radio & media

Full listing of our MCPS Production Music members and rate cards.

Learn more
man recording production

Commercial music in film, advertising & games

Find more information on our track clearing service.

Learn more
switching account

Switching your account...