Tracks of my cheers!
Jump by Van Halen most popular sporting song
The countdown is on. In just under 24 hours, 60,000 spectators will be enjoying Danny Boyle’s opening ceremony at the Olympic Stadium in East London and millions will be tuning in around the globe to enjoy the most spectacular world stage of human endeavour.
From Bradley Wiggins to Victoria Pendleton and Tom Daley, each British athlete has a tune which can pump them up for the ultimate challenge and spur them to victory.
PRS for Music, the organisation which collects royalties on behalf of 90,000 songwriters and performers, polled its members for their Top Twenty Tracks of My Cheers. The results are the perfect soundtrack to get you pumped and ready for a thrilling and competitive few weeks…
Most Sporting Songs Chart
- Jump – Van Halen
- Start Me Up – Rolling Stones
- Higher & Higher – Jackie Wilson
- Gold – Spandau Ballet
- Thriller – Michael Jackson
- Wake Me Up! – Wham!
- The Winner Takes It All – Abba
- Silver Machine – Hawkwind
- We Are the Champions – Queen
- Shine – Take That
- Tracks of My Tears – Smokey Robinson
- The Long & Winding Road – The Beatles
- Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
- Simply the Best – Tina Turner
- Jump Around – House of Pain
- Gonna Fly Now – From Rocky
- Another One Bites The Dust – Queen
- Don’t Stop Believin’ – Journey
- Chariots of Fire (Theme)
- We Will Rock You – Queen
We are so excited about the Olympic Games and music plays such a classic role for both the spectator and participant. As a Brit I would have to vote for Spandau Ballet’s ‘Gold’ being a personal favourite. We have such a strong team of athletes this year too - I think we might get a few of those, fingers crossed.