Using music online

You need an online music licence if you’re hosting content on your website, or providing on demand streaming, permanent downloads, podcasts, webcasting and general entertainment content. 

A list of our licences are below. These licences cover the communication to the public and associated mechanical rights of our members’ music through all digital services, including websites. 

These licences do not cover content on third party websites and social media platforms such as YouTube or Facebook. Those wishing to live-stream via platforms such as Facebook and YouTube should be covered by the existing licensing agreements in place with those platforms. There are currently no licensing arrangements in place with Twitter or Twitch, negotiations are currently taking place with both of these companies. Please ensure you follow the terms of use and copyright requirements of each respective platform.

For anyone wishing to live stream a concert in the UK or one of our managed territories (Malta, Cyprus, Gibraltar, The Bahamas or Bermuda). 

Read more about the Online Live Concert Licence

For medium to large online services making general entertainment content available in the UK, such as TV programmes that contain music but are not a pure music service.

See more on licensing with GEOL

Our Limited Online Music Licence (LOML) is for small digital services in the UK which offer on-demand streaming, permanent downloads, podcasts, webcasting and audiovisual content to UK audiences. We categorise services as small if the annual gross revenue of the licensed service is less than £12,500 a year.

See more on licensing with LOML

The Limited Online Music Licence Plus (LOML+) is designed for medium-sized digital services which offer on-demand streaming, permanent downloads and webcasting to a UK audience. We categorise services as medium if the annual gross revenue of the licensed service is between £12,500 and £200,000 a year.

See more on licensing with LOML+ 

The Performing Right Online Licence (PROL) is for digital services that have pre-cleared the mechanical rights separately and need to license the communication to the public of our members’ music via streaming or downloading.

See more on licensing with PROL 

For music downloading services that expect to exceed £200,000 in annual revenue.

See more on licensing for downloads

If you are planning to launch a music service that will be available in the UK and any other European territory, and you expect your revenue to exceed £200,000, please contact us.

See more on multi-territory licensing

For services of all sizes that offer or sell music tracks for karaoke. Artists and works that are excluded from karaoke licensing are included here.

See more on karaoke licensing 

Other licences you might need

Licences from PPL

PRS for Music offers licences for the use of works on behalf of writers, composers and publishers. You must also seek a licence from the owner of the sound recording of the work, which is usually a record company.

Please contact Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL) to establish who owns the sound recording you want to use.

Issuing a digital copy with a vinyl purchase

If you are offering a digital copy with the purchase of a vinyl, you'll need a Vinyl Copy Code licence.

Contact our online licensing team

If you'd like to discuss live streaming or the possibility of a Music Streaming Licence, please email us at or call our licensing team on +44 (0)20 3741 3888, 9am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.

switching account

Switching your account...