To comply with the Malta Copyright Act 2000 (chapter 415), your business is legally required to pay for the use of any copyright music on your premises.

When does Copyright begin?

In music, copyright begins automatically once a piece of music is created, and documented or recorded (eg. on video, tape or CD or simply writing down the notation of a score).

What rights does a Copyright owner have?

If you own the copyright you possess the sole authority to:

  • copy the music
  • issue, lend or rent copies to the public
  • perform, show or play the music in public
  • communicate the music to the public (i.e. broadcasting it via TV, radio, Internet etc.)

How long does Copyright last?

In Malta copyright generally last for a period of 70 years from the end of the calendar year in which the author dies.

Our guide to licensing music in Malta

How tariffs are set

PRS for Music tariffs are structured to ensure they can cater for all types of businesses and performances. These tariffs cover anything from licensing a large club to a small hairdresser. Each one is tailored to cater for the needs of a particular business sector. The main aim when setting a tariff is to ensure that our charges for music played or performed in public are fair to both the music creators and our customers. For example, we don’t charge the same fee for music used in a small venue compared with a football stadium or arena. In Malta, PRS for Music are also required to submit our tariffs every two years to the Copyright Board. Once approved these tariffs are then published in the Government Gazette and can be accessed online.

Licensing tariffs

Customer Consultation

We aim to ensure that our production music licence fees are fair to both music creators and music users.

Our published licensing schemes are set and reviewed in consultation with our licensees and, if appropriate, their representative bodies.

Please contact the Commerce Department of the Maltese Government for more information. You can also speak to a lawyer.

There are further FAQs on our website:

Supporting members

If you're based in Malta, you can also upload your music files to the BMAT reporting system so their use can be tracked. If you need help using the system, just check out the BMAT guide below. 

Get in touch

If you're a member and need any advice or help, please call Martin Pursey on +356 276 60110 or email him at

If you have any questions about music licensing for your business, please call us on +356 212 32010 or email

To arrange a face-to-face meeting with our local representative please contact Steve Vassallo, by email at or on the number above.

You can write to us at:

PRS for Music 
Suite 3 Parklane Business Centre
Mountbatten Street