Do I need a licence?

If music is ever played on your premises for customers or staff; for example, through radio, TV, CD, MP3 or computer speakers, or at live events, this is considered a ‘public performance’. The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 states you need to get permission from the copyright holder to ‘perform’ music in public – and a music licence grants you this permission.

Our licensing is flexible and covers the vast majority of commercial music originating from the UK and all over the world.

Please note, if you play music that is outside of PRS for Music’s control, you may need an additional licence from the relevant copyright owner(s).

What music is in PRS for Music's control?

You can check what works are in our repertoire on the ISWC website.

There are certain circumstances under which you will not need to obtain a licence to use copyright music in your business. Your music usage may not require a licence and in some situations you will not require a licence where PRS for Music members have chosen to waive their rights. The conditions for either of these scenarios are as follows:

  • Where there is an exemption in UK copyright law which permits the use of copyright music without the consent of the rightsholder.  Information on the exceptions to copyright can be found on the UK Government’s website.
  • When your music use in very specific circumstances is covered by a PRS for Music non charging policy.
  • If you never play music, or in the unlikely event that all the music you play is out of copyright or is not controlled by PRS for Music.