Here are Jamie's top songwriting tips.
1. When I am writing for myself and my own albums I am as honest lyrically and as tough melodically as I can be - if the song doesn't really move me, it won't move anyone else.
2. I change the instrument I write on to something unfamiliar. If I can't play it I'll make a mistake. Mistakes are the birthplaces of new ideas.
3. I keep up with new music, but I don't try to copy it. I let thoughts come to me, I don't go to them. Also - a first thought may not be the best!
4. If I'm writing with someone else as a co-writer, the same rules apply. I give people every opportunity to write what they feel. If they're stealing melodies I tell them so! And I don't let them settle for second best.
5. I love what I do. If you don't LOVE creating and performing, give it up. There are too many average people doing it out there anyway and the world needs more doctors, nurses, teachers and volunteers than it does musicians!
Jamie Hartman releases new single Happy New Year on Christmas Day. This will be the first single under his own name.