Join MCPS as a writer
Changes to joining process due to COVID-19
If you’re applying for an MCPS writer membership you’ll need to contact the admissions team on 020 3741 4805 or email email@example.com.
You can join the Mechanical Copyright Protection Society (MCPS) if your work has been:
- commercially released by a record company
- recorded and used by a radio or TV programme
- recorded and used for an audio-visual or multimedia production
- used online
You will need to show evidence of your work's reproduction with your application, as detailed in the table below.
If you're a published writer
If your work has been entered into an agreement with a music publisher, please do not join MCPS as they will already be collecting your work's mechanical royalties.
Evidence of mechanical usage
|Work referred to in your application||Documents we accept to confirm mechanical usage|
|Commercially released by a record company
this cannot be a record company that you own
1. Reproduction of the artwork for the recording, clearly indicating that you have a writer or publisher credit.
2. Letter from the record company on their headed paper, confirming that they have released a recording that features your music.
|Recording used by a radio or TV programme||Music cue sheet for the production, clearly detailing inclusion of your music.|
|Recording used in an audio-visual or multimedia production||Letter from the production company on their headed paper, confirming inclusion of your music in the production.|
|Used online||Music cue sheet for the production, clearly detailing inclusion of your music.|
The MCPS writer joining fee is £100 inclusive of VAT. Please make your cheque payable to MCPS Ltd.
Apply to join
Please print and complete your application form then send it to us with all the necessary documentation and £100 cheque, made payable Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society Limited, to:
PRS for Music
41 Streatham High Road