Skip navigation links
Businesses and live events
Broadcast and online
Recorded media
Production music
Customer portal

General Entertainment Online Licence (GEOL) 

The PRS for Music General Entertainment Online Licence (GEOL) has been designed to offer blanket coverage to any service making general entertainment content available in the UK in an on-demand context.

Whether you buy-in your programming or make the content yourself, if your on-demand material contains our members’ repertoire you will need a licence from us.

What does the GEOL cover?

By ‘general entertainment’ we mean any content which contains music but is not a pure music service. Streaming or downloading full track audio or music videos should be licensed with one of our online music licence schemes; Limited Online Music Licence (LOML), Limited Online Music Licence plus (LOML+) or the Online Music Licences (OML).

GEOL covers communication to the public of our members’ repertoire and associated mechanical rights in download-to-own and streaming services.

The repertoire covered includes the vast majority of specially commissioned music, library music, classical and chart music from the UK and our worldwide affiliated societies.

How much does it cost?

A broad range of services are licensed under our GEOL.

1. Download-to-own and on demand rental

The licence fee due for a-la-carte download and rental services under GEOL are calculated as the greater of:

  • Royalty rate; OR
  • Minima

These are calculated as follows:

Royalty rate 2.5% of Gross Revenue

TV Film
Minima 1p for on demand rental 3p for on demand rental
3p for download-to-own 10p for download

The fees listed above are valid from 1 January 2015 to 31 December 2016.

2. All other GEOL services

Licence fees for all other services (including catch up, free-to- consumer, subscription or ad-funded) are calculated on an individual basis, using a number of standard factors. They include:

  • Music hours consumed
  • Viewer/subscriber figures
  • Level of music use
  • Revenue generated

How do you apply for a licence?

Complete the application form or call our licensing team on +44 (0)20 3741 4500 to discuss your requirements.

You will need to provide details of your service and submit a completed application. All GEOL licensees are allocated an account manager to advise and answer queries throughout the licensing process.

Licences for smaller services

You may find our Limited Online Music Licences (LOML) meet your requirements if your music service generates less than £12,500 a year in gross revenue.

View Limited Online Music Licences (LOML) for small music services

Contact us

Contact the online licensing team on
+44 (0)20 3741 4500 or onlinelicensing@prsformusic.com


Follow us on M Magazine Twitter Facebook Linked In YouTube
© PRS for Music