Skip navigation links
Small workplaces joint licence
Community Buildings joint licence
Nurseries Joint Licence

Nurseries Joint Licence FAQs 

1. What is the difference between PRS for Music and PPL?

PPL and PRS for Music are two separate independent Collective Management Organisations and in most instances a licence is required from both organisations to lawfully play recorded music in public. While both organisations license the use of music and collect royalties for the music industry, each represents different rights holders. PPL collects and distributes money for the use of recorded music on behalf of record companies and performers. PRS for Music collects and distributes money for the use of the musical composition and lyrics on behalf of authors, songwriters, composers and publishers.

2. Why is there a new joint licence?

PPL and PRS for Music are committed to simplifying music licensing for customers. As a result of this from 1 September 2016 we are introducing the joint licence for nurseries. Until now, PPL and PRS for Music licensed nurseries, playgroups, pre-schools and crèches separately under our own tariffs. This meant our customers needed a separate licence from each of us to play recorded music. From 1 September 2016 nurseries will be able to purchase one joint music licence that grants them the permission needed from both organisations to play music.

3. What types of activities are covered by the joint licence?

It covers a broad range of music uses within your premises, including extra-curricular dance and movement classes (for example, mummy and baby yoga), fetes and fairs, child minding services, film and cartoon screenings, extra-curricular external musicians, breakfast/holiday clubs, parent evenings/open days, general background music and on hold telephone music.

You may need an additional licence if you want to show films. See question 4: Can I show films?

4. Can I show films?

When films are shown outside of cinemas or the home an additional licence will most likely be required. Please contact FILMBANK (filmbankmedia.com) and The Motion Picture Licensing Company (themplc.co.uk) for more details.

5. How much does a licence cost and where can I purchase one?

The PPL and PRS for Music licences will each cost £40 (plus VAT) per year. Therefore the fee for the joint licence will be £80 (plus VAT) per year.

Existing customers will be contacted directly (see question 8: What will happen and when). For new customers the joint licence will be available from 1 September 2016 at ppluk.com/nurseries.

6. Who is responsible for holding a joint PPL/PRS for Music licence?

a. The proprietor or responsible operator of a nursery, playgroup, pre-school or crèche (not integral to a school) in a dedicated room or building will need to obtain the licence.

b. Nurseries, pre-schools, playgroups or crèches integral to a school are licensable via PPL and PRS for Music’s agent, Centre for Education and Finance Management Ltd (CEFM). Please visit cefm.co.uk/licensing for more information.

c. For any other type of premises, such as a multi-purpose centre or community building, which you hire or visit, please contact PPL to discuss the appropriate licensing arrangements.

7. How will the joint licence affect me if I have a PRS for Music or PPL licence, but not both?

As this is a new joint licence there may be a short crossover period while customers are moved onto the new joint licence. We have put steps in place, as outlined in the following questions, to make this process as smooth as possible for you.

8. What will happen and when?

a. If you currently only have a PPL music licence or a PRS for Music licence:

You don’t need to do anything until your existing licence is due for annual renewal.

PPL will contact you six weeks before your licence renewal date to confirm your details and set up the invoice and payment for your joint licence. The joint licence will then begin upon expiry of your existing licence and will ensure you have the necessary permission to play music lawfully from both PPL and PRS for Music.

Example: If your PRS for Music expiry date is 30 September 2016, PPL will contact you in August to set up your joint licence. Your new joint licence will then run from 1 October 2016 and will include the renewed PRS for Music fee and the PPL licence fee.

b. If you currently have both a PPL and a PRS for Music licence: As your PPL and PRS for Music licences will have different annual renewal dates, the joint licence will commence from whichever date is later.

PPL will contact you six weeks before the later of your two licence renewal dates to confirm your details, and set up the invoice and payment for your joint licence. Once the later of your two separate licences expires, your joint licence will immediately commence.

Example: If your PRS for Music licence is due for renewal on 1 January 2017 and your PPL licence is due for renewal on 1 March 2017, PPL will contact you six weeks before your March renewal date to set up your joint licence. We will not charge a fee for the two month period between the expiry date of your PRS for Music licence and the start of your joint music licence.

9. What happens if I do not hold a PPL or PRS for Music licence?

If you don’t currently hold a PPL or PRS for Music licence then from 1 September 2016 you simply need to apply for a licence at ppluk.com/nurseries and make the relevant payment.

When you apply for your licence you will need to confirm the date you started using music at your nursery. However, please note, even if you started using music before 1 September 2016 (the date the joint licence comes into effect) you will only be charged from 1 September 2016 onwards.

10. How will the joint licence be administered?

The joint licence will be administered by PPL, acting on behalf of both PPL and PRS for Music. If you are an existing PRS for Music customer, PPL will be the new point of contact for any queries or changes regarding your nursery licence.

Other uses of music may attract additional fees, such as aerobics classes and jukeboxes. Please contact PPL for further details.

11. Are there any exemptions?

a. Educational uses of music

According to the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, a licence is not required if music is only performed or played for instructional purposes to an audience of teachers and pupils at educational premises.

If music is played as above, but not for instructional purposes, a PRS for Music licence exemption still applies, as long as the music is played by a teacher or pupil in the course of the premises’ activities (the “PRS Exemption”). There is no equivalent exemption in relation to a PPL licence.

Both exemptions can also apply where the audience includes people other than teachers and pupils, who are directly connected with the activities of the premises. For example, a musician hired to deliver a music class. Being a parent of a pupil does not itself satisfy this condition. These exemptions only apply to “maintained nursery schools” in England and Wales and “grant-aided nursery schools” in Northern Ireland. In Scotland any nursery school can be covered by the exemptions.

b. Music not controlled by PPL or PRS for Music

Please note, a PPL licence isn’t required if your premises only features live performances of music, or in the unlikely event that all of the recorded music you play isn’t controlled by PPL.

A PRS for Music licence isn’t required in the unlikely event that the premises only plays music, either recorded or live, which isn’t controlled by PRS for Music.

It’s only if the exemptions above cover all your uses of music that you don’t need a licence from PPL and/or PRS for Music. If you’re in any doubt, please contact us (details below).

12. Where can I find further information?



Alternatively, please contact PPL on 020 7534 1100 or at nurseries@ppluk.com

Follow us on M Magazine Twitter Facebook Linked In YouTube
© PRS for Music