From his first Creation-signed band The Loft through to the major label jingle jangle of The Weather Prophets and beyond into the electronic forays of Ellis Island Sound, Pete has been a consistent source of kitchen-sink melodrama and quirky pop.
Now a music lecturer at the University of Westminster, London – and still a guitar-wielding soloist to be reckoned with – he’s gently graduated from plucky indie upstart to respected songwriting master.
With a bunch of new songs on the way – including Mr Music with James Hoare (Veronica Falls, The Proper Ornaments, Ultimate Painting) – and a new live band boasting members of Feathers, Hefner, Withered Hand, The Left Outsides and Owl and Mouse, Pete seems to be plotting a full scale indie assault in the very near future.
Here, he reveals what’s currently spinning on the Astor home stereo…
- Your Fine Petting Duck – Devendra Banhart
- Song For Zula – Phosphorescent
- Shepherd – Woods
- The Lady With The Braid – Dory Previn
- Hi-Five – Angel Olsen
- Funtimes In Babylon – Father John Misty
- Flirted With You All My Life – Vic Chesnutt
- Every Time The Sun Comes Up – Sharon Van Etten
- Courage – Villagers
- Common Knowledge – Conor Oberst