This week's playlist is curated by brass-loving classical composer Gavin Higgins.
Gavin’s musical career began with an initial training in the family brass band, before studying at the Royal Northern College of Music. He’s since gained a reputation as one of the most forward thinking composers in brass, with a series of high profile commissions and performances including Freaks (2007), Tango (2008) – both recorded by Black Dyke Band’s main trombone, Brett Baker – Fanfares and Loves Songs (2009) for the National Children’s Band of Great Britain and Destroy, Trample, As Swiftly As She, commissioned for the 2011 European Brass Band Championships in Montreux, Switzerland.
Most recently Gavin unveiled new orchestral work, Velocity, as the opening piece to the Last Night of the Proms 2014 while he’s currently busying himself with a new brass band ballet inspired by the miners’ strikes.
His playlist shows off his love for the brass sound with choice pieces from John McCabe, Black Dyke Mills Band and the Grimethorpe Colliery ensemble…
- Cloudcatcher Fells - Black Dyke Mills Band
- Salamander - Grimethorpe Colliery Band
- Contest Music: I. Allegro - Black Dyke Mills Band
- Contest Music: II. Molto adagio - Black Dyke Mills Band
- Contest Music: III. Vivo - Black Dyke Mills Band
- Procession To The Minster - Grimethorpe Colliery Band
- Macarthur Park - Grimethorpe Colliery Band
- A Downland Suite: II. Elegy - Black Dyke Mills Band
- Yet Another Set To: I. Cut Up - Mark-Anthony Turnage
- Romeo and Juliet Suite No 2. Montagues and Capulets - Sergei Prokofiev
- Romeo and Juliet Suite No 2. Romeo at the grave of Juliet - Sergei Prokofiev
- Roman Carnival Overture - Grimethorpe Colliery Band
- What Time Is Love? - Williams Fairey Brass Band