Top 100 Played Songs of the Year
Gabriella Cilmi’s Sweet About Me Revealed as the Most Played Song of the Year
PRS for Music launches its first ever annual chart of Music Makers, listing the 100 most played songs of 2009. Gabriella Cilmi’s Sweet About Me tops the list in a chart where girls dominate the top spots.
The top ten are as follows:
- Sweet About Me Gabrielle Cilmi
- Viva La Vida Coldplay
- The Time is Now Moloko
- Mercy Duffy
- Shine Take That
- The Promise Girls Aloud
- No Air Jordin Sparks
- The Man who Can’t be Moved The Script
- Greatest Day Take That
- Spotlight Jennifer Hudson
Take That, Rihanna and the Sugababes all feature heavily, each getting four entries.
Moloko’s 2000 hit The Time Is Now is a surprise entry at number 3 largely thanks to it being played regularly on Sky Sports.
The list reveals other surprises including appearances from old time favourites such as Duke Ellington and Cole Porter.
Several songs from adverts also feature in the list including:
- Erni K Doe’s version of Here Come The Girls (no 38), used for the Boots Office Party ad, 2007
- Eliza’s Aria from a little known opera by Soviet born composer Elena Katz-Chernin features at no 47 thanks to the popular advert for Lloyds TSB.
- ‘tain’t What You Do It’s The Way That You Do It features at no 56. Bananarama & Fun Boy Three’s version being used for B&Q advert in 2008.
- Duke Ellington’s Double Check Stomp is in the chart at no. 89 – Homebase used this classic piece for an advertising campaign.
- Egyptian Reggae Jonathan Richman & the Modern Lovers (no. 59) was used in a Weetabix advert, 2008
The list also features several all time classics including Mamma Mia (Abba), Take On Me (A-Ha), Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen), Over the Rainbow (various covers) and In The Summertime (Mungo Jerry).
The data is taken from number of plays and performances on-line, live, on TV and Radio.