The winners of the Scottish Awards for New Music 2023 have been announced, with Aileen Sweeney taking home The PRS for Music Award for Large-Scale Work.
The awards, which recognise and champion the highest standards and achievements of composers, musicians, sound artists and ensembles across Scotland, took place at Glasgow’s Centre for Contemporary Arts on Friday (1 September), with former Sound and Music Chief Executive Susanna Eastburn MBE hosting.
An international panel of key figures from across the music world helped select this year's winners, with the 2023 ceremony featuring two new categories: The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Award for New Music Trailblazer and The Sonic Art Award.
Among the winners on Friday night was Aileen Sweeney, whose work Winter saw off competition from Lisa Robertson's Amidst the rising tides - we rise and Errollyn Wallen's Dido’s Ghost to take home The PRS for Music Award for Large-Scale Work.
You can see the full list of winners from the Scottish Awards for New Music 2023 below.
The Dorico Award for Small-scale Work, sponsored by Steinberg
● Winner: David Fennessy, JACK for two unplugged electric guitars
● Matthew Grouse, Silberblau
● Ruth Morley, Neon Flicker (for solo flute)
● Turning the Elements (Joanna Nicholson, Frances Cooper), Linda Buckley and co, No
Trees to Whisper
The PRS for Music Award for Large-Scale Work
● Winner: Aileen Sweeney, Winter
● Lisa Robertson, Amidst the rising tides - we rise
● Errollyn Wallen, Dido’s Ghost
The Musicians' Union Award for New Music Performer(s)
● Winner: Sonic Bothy
● BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
● Ruth Morley
● The Other
The ISM Award for New Music Recording
● Winner: Martin Suckling, The Tuning
● Joanna Nicholson, Gyre
● Stuart MacRae, Ursa Minor: Chamber Music
● Various Artists, The Night With..., live Volume 2
The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland Award for New Music Trailblazer
● Winner: Kate Molleson
● Alasdair Campbell
● Matthew Whiteside
The Award for New Music Project
● Winner: Drake Music Scotland/Hebrides Ensemble, Echoes
● Sound Scotland, Get Creative
● Various artists, Modern Chants
● Rufus Isabel Elliot, OVER / At
The Award for Sonic Art
● Winner: Alliyah Enyo, Selkie Tape Loops
● Maria Fusco & Olivier Pasquet, Mollspeak
● Peter Stollery, Gruyères Bells
The Award for New Music Programme
● Winner: WATER MUSIC source to sea
● Sonica Glasgow
● Sound Thought
● Unbound Sound
Speaking about this year's awards ceremony, Alan Morrison, Head of Music at Creative Scotland, said: 'The Scottish Awards for New Music have once again opened a door to a diverse and stimulating world. Every one of these musicians and composers, programmers and ensembles encourages us to open our ears to a deeper way of listening and open our minds to a broader definition of what music can be.
'Creative Scotland is proud to support an event that celebrates some of the most innovative and inspirational art being made here today.'