Here at PRS for Music we provide licences giving you legal permission to play music for transport including trains, airplanes, cruise liners, ferries, pleasure craft and motor vehicles.

Our licence gives you permission to play music in many different ways including in taxis, on board cruise ships and as part of your in-flight entertainment.

Playing music in your vehicle – whether that be a train, airplane, taxi or cruise ships – can have a positive impact on both staff and customers and help improve the overall experience of your business.

We can help you become licensed to play music in your workplace so you can reap the benefits music can bring.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have tariffs covering various type of transports.

Licence tariffs depend on:

  • the type of transport
  • how you play music
  • if music is played on hold

If your airline is based outside the UK, please see our international airlines information.

There are limited circumstances where, at our discretion, we choose not to make a charge for our licence for music used in motor vehicles. These include:

  • Work vehicles, such as company cars and vans, used purely by employees to travel from one location to another. For example delivery vehicles.
  • Vehicles which normally only carry the driver and play music only heard by the driver inside the vehicle. For example, a lorry driver listening to the radio on their own.
  • Where only the driver can hear the music being played or where the music is clearly intended to only be heard by the driver. For example, a taxi driver listening to a radio which is not audible to passengers.