Sports grounds and stadia

Here at PRS for Music we provide licences giving you legal permission to play music for sports events at your sport grounds or stadia.

Music in sports events can significantly improve the atmosphere of a sporting occasion.

Eighty-six percent of sports grounds and stadia we asked think it increases the anticipation of the crowd when played before the event. A further 80 percent like to hear music playing at appropriate times during live music events.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have a dedicated tariff covering sports grounds and stadia.

Licence tariffs depend on:

  • the number of people admitted to different events
  • how you want to play music
  • the types of facilities on offer
  • if music is played on hold

There may be other charges for music in areas such as in pubs and restaurants. Please visit our dedicated pages for more information: