Restaurants and cafés

Here at PRS for Music we provide music licences for restaurants and cafés, giving you legal permission to play music on your premises to both your staff and the public. 

Music in restaurants and cafés can improve the overall customer experience.

Eighty-one percent of people we asked say that playing music helps increase staff morale while 84 percent claim music helps create a better atmosphere for customers.

We can help you become licensed to play music in your restaurant or café - whether that's live performances, karaoke, other events or background music.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have a dedicated tariff covering restaurants and cafés.

Licence tariffs depend on:

  • seating capacity
  • how you play music (eg. in the background or DJs and live performances)
  • if music is played on hold

There are limited circumstances where, at our discretion, we choose not to charge for our licence. Read our policies for: