Offices and factories

Here at PRS for Music we license music for the workplace, giving you legal permission to play music in your office or factory.

Playing music in offices or factories can greatly enhance the environment of a workplace.

Eighty-seven percent of people we asked say playing music in the workplace improves morale.

We can help you become licensed to play music in your workplace so you can reap the benefits music can bring.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have dedicated tariffs covering the majority of workplaces such as offices and factories.

Licence tariffs depend on:

  • the number of staff
  • the duration of music
  • how you play music
  • if music is played on hold

There are limited circumstances where, at our discretion, we choose not to charge for our licence. Read our policy for:

Do you have four or fewer employees?

We offer joint licences with another UK collecting society, PPL, which collects and distributes licence fees on behalf of performers and record companies.

Find out more about joint licensing