Become licensed to play music at work

Playing music audibly to staff and customers in a business environment is considered a public performance. The Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 states you need to get permission from the copyright holder to play music in public.

A music licence is a simple way for you to get the permission you need from the copyright owners of the music you are using.

We're here to answer questions and help you obtain the legal permission you need to play copyright music at work.

To set up your account now call our Music Licensing Team on 0800 694 7322.

Lines are open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Playing fair

PRS for Music distributes nearly 90% of the fees we receive from licences back to songwriters, composers and publishers in the form of royalties. We only deduct our administration cost.

Download Repertoire to Royalties

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

If a music user does not obtain a licence, we can take legal action for copyright infringement and the user could then be liable for costs and damages. Before this, of course, we take all reasonable steps to communicate the need for a music licence.

There are circumstances when a licence from PRS for Music is not required.