Mobile businesses and limited uses

Here at PRS for Music we provide music licences for mobile businesses including personal trainers, mobile beauty/complementary therapists, children’s entertainers, market stalls and mobile aerobic/dance instructors.

Music for mobile businesses such as market stalls and dance instructors can help create the right ambience for customers while boosting employee morale and productivity.

We can help your mobile business become licensed to play music and reap the benefits music can bring.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have a dedicated tariff covering mobile businesses including personal trainers, children’s entertainers, market stalls and dance instructors.

Licence tariffs depend on:

  • the type of mobile business
  • if music is played on hold

DJs or karaoke jockeys may need a separate ProDub licence to play music at your venue. Please note, where they don’t have one, it may render your licence invalid.

What's excluded from the tariff?

The mobile businesses tariff doesn't cover music used at premises where another tariff applies, for example gyms, leisure centres, dance schools, pubs or nightclubs are licensed using the relevant tariff for these premises.

Are there any exemptions?

There are limited circumstances where, at our discretion, we choose not to charge for our licence. They include: