Leisure, sport and fitness

Here at PRS for Music we provide music licences for gyms, sports and fitness centres, dance schools, bingo halls, swimming pools and ice skating rinks, granting you legal permission to play music to staff and visitors.

Music in sports and leisure centres is an important part of the overall experience. It helps create the right atmosphere for your customers, and has a positive impact on staff morale and productivity.

Eighty percent of gym members we asked say that music makes them more motivated in their workout, while 87 percent who attend exercise classes prefer to hear music by the original artist.

We can help you become licensed to play music at your premises so you can start to reap the rewards music can bring.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have tariffs which cover sports facilities, bingo halls, dance schools, gyms and ice rinks.

Licence tariffs depend on:

  • type of premises
  • where you play music (eg. cafes, bars, events)
  • how you play music (eg. in the background, DJs and live performances)
  • if you play music on hold