Educational establishments

Here at PRS for Music we provide music licences for colleges, schools and universities, as well as music licences for nurseries, crèches and playgroups. These grant you legal permission to play music on your premises to staff, pupils, students and the public.

Music in schools, colleges, nurseries and other education centres can aid learning and development, and has a positive impact on staff morale and productivity.

We can help you become licensed to use music in a number of ways:

If you're recording TV programmes for later use, you will need to obtain a licence from the Educational Recording Agency

There are some exemptions for educational establishments under current copyright law. For example, under section 34 of the Copyright Act, establishments which only play music within curricular activities don’t need a licence.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Please note, primary and secondary schools, plus further education establishments are licensed on our behalf by the Centre for Education and Finance Management (CEFM). Please contact CEFM to get your PRS for Music licence.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have dedicated licensing tariffs which cover most types of public performance at educational establishments.

Licence tariffs depend on:

  • the type of premises
  • how you use music (eg. over a radio station, in a play)
  • if you play music on hold

We also have info specifically for playing music at universities

Please note, you need a separate licence to copy sheet music, although this is not something we administer. Please see the Copyright Licensing Agency and the Music Publishers Association for more info.

Likewise, you'll need a separate licence to perform operas, ballets and musicals. Again, please see the Music Publishers Association for more info.

Are there any exemptions?

There are limited circumstances where, at our discretion, we choose not to charge for our licence. Read our policies for:

If you are unsure as to whether you need a licence or not, please contact us.