Here at PRS for Music we provide music licences to clubs, granting you legal permission to play music on your premises to staff and the public.

Music in clubs is an essential part of the entertainment experience, with 93 percent of bars and clubs we asked agreeing that music creates a better atmosphere for punters. A further 73 percent have told us that playing music also increases sales and results.

We can help you become licensed at your premises to reap the rewards music can bring.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have tariffs which cover most types of clubs, from non-profit members' clubs to large nightclubs and dance halls.

Licence tariffs depend on:

  • the size of your venue
  • the type of club you're running
  • how you play music (eg. in the background, DJs and live performances)
  • if you play music on hold

DJs or karaoke jockeys may need a separate ProDub licence to play music at your venue. Please note, where they don’t have one, it may render your licence invalid.

Are you a not-for-profit amateur sports club?

Find out about our joint licensing arrangements for not-for-profit amateur sports clubs.

Tariff AMS (Amateur Sports Clubs), as ordered by the Copyright Tribunal, limited the charges in section 1.2.2 in specific circumstances for the period up to 31st December 2016. PRS for Music shall, for the one-year period from 1st January 2017 to 31st December 2017, apply a limit to the rate applicable in Section 1.2.2 to £200.00 standard rate maximum where the only use of background music is by a single radio or a single TV with a screen size less than 26 inches. This charging policy is provided at the absolute discretion of PRS for Music and all rights remain strictly reserved, including the right to review or remove the policy at any time.

Tariff downloads