Here at PRS for Music we provide music licences for cinemas, granting you legal permission to play music on your premises to staff and the public.

Music in cinemas is an essential part of the movie experience. It also helps create the right ambience for customers in café areas, foyers and shops and has a positive impact on staff morale and productivity.

We can help you become licensed to play music in films, play in/play out music, foyer music, host music events and more.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have a tariff for commercial cinemas showing films at least three days a week for four months a year or more.

You can choose to pay either:

  • one percent of actual receipts (defined in the tariff)
  • a fixed rate per actual admission (defined in the tariff)

What's excluded?

Our cinema tariff excludes:

  • music in areas let to, or controlled by, a third party
  • any separate pub, bar, restaurant, café or shop