Music plays an important role in campus life. Whether you’re putting on a live event at a Student Union, playing music in the cafeteria or showing TV in the student lounge, it is likely you will need a licence from PRS for Music if you are playing music controlled by us. Our licence gives you the legal permission you need to play the songs you want.*

How can PRS for Music help me play music on campus?

  • Submitting programme and set list details guarantees an accurate assessment of your fees. You will only be charged for the music we control or that of our affiliated societies.
  • You will have a hotline direct to music licensing specialists.

What happens to the licence fee?

Royalty Route

How are PRS for Music charges assessed?

We use over 40 tariffs to ensure suitable charges are applied. The tariffs which may relate to your live venue/concert are:

If you're playing music in other ways or areas, additional charges may apply.

Further information for copying, broadcasting or using music online 

Many of our tariffs have been negotiated with national trade associations or representative bodies. In a few cases, PRS for Music tariffs have been set by the Copyright Tribunal. PRS for Music will apply the nearest equivalent wherever particular performances do not fit the exact scope of a standard tariff.

How do I get a licence?

If you need a new licence for a live music venue or you are putting on a concert at a venue not already licensed by PRS for Music, please contact us on 0203 741 3621 or email

If you are putting on a concert in a music venue that already holds a PRS for Music licence, this event should be declared to us by the venue and all charging will be arranged through them.

If you have a query regarding an existing venue or concert licence please contact us on 0345 300 6033 or email

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we will direct your query to the correct department so that they can contact you.

View our policy on walk-on walk-off music at stand-up comedy shows at theatres, arenas and similar premises.

What is the process?

  • We will contact you quarterly to obtain actual music details. We will use this information to calculate the charges due.
  • Programme and set list forms can be submitted electronically (or posted), for all live performances of music under the relevant PRS for Music public performance tariff.
  • Usually the university administration is responsible for ensuring that premises are covered for all instances of music use (including third party events). For this, we will usually issue a blanket licence, whereby background music can be charged annually and events using live or recorded music can be charged per event.
  • Where a student union is entirely responsible for its own premises, we can issue a licence directly to the student union to cover that premises only for their events and music usage.

Are there any circumstances where I may not need a licence?

  • We do not charge for music played during course tuition or as part of performances made solely to meet syllabus requirements (please refer to the policy for details).
  • We do not control dramatico-musical works. Permission must be sought direct from the publisher or other copyright owner.
  • We do not license in student accommodation where music use is consistent with normal domestic music use (please refer to the policy for details).
  • PRS for Music does not charge for music used at a recognised Service of Divine Worship in consecrated places of worship.
  • PRS for Music has a number of discretionary charging policies which define circumstances in which we choose not to make a charge for our licence. 

*PRS for Music licenses cover the majority of music originating from the UK and all over the world. However, if you play music outside of PRS for Music’s control, you may need an additional licence from the relevant copyright owner(s). You will also require a TV licence if you are using a TV in your premises. In the unlikely event that all the music you play is out of copyright or is not controlled by PRS for Music, you do not need a PRS for Music licence. In some cases you may also require a licence from PPL. PPL collects and distributes royalties on behalf of record companies and performers. Further info at All music licences are required under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. It stipulates you must gain the permission of the copyright owner if you play music in public (anywhere outside the home environment).