Concert venues

As a live music organiser, you run and market your premises as a live music venue, e.g. people usually come to your venue primarily to listen to live music and would not normally gain access to your venue without passing by a box office or via any type of ticketing system. You must ensure you have the correct licences in place to stage your events. A PRS for Music licence will give you the legal permission you need to play the songs you want at your event that are controlled by us.*

How can PRS for Music help me play music in a live music venue?

  • Submitting programme and set list details guarantees an accurate assessment of your fees. You will only be charged for the music we control or that of our affiliated societies.
  • You will have a hotline direct to licensing specialists.

What happens to the licence fee?

Royalty Route

How are PRS for Music charges assessed?

We use over 40 tariffs to ensure suitable charges are applied. The tariffs which may relate to your live venue/concert are:

Many of our tariffs have been negotiated with national trade associations or representative bodies. In a few cases, PRS for Music tariffs have been set by the Copyright Tribunal. PRS for Music will apply the nearest equivalent wherever particular performances do not fit the exact scope of a standard tariff.

How do I get a licence?

If you need a new licence for a live music venue or you are putting on a concert at a venue not already licensed by PRS for Music, please contact us on 0203 741 3621 or email

If you are putting on a concert in a music venue that already holds a PRS for Music licence, this event should be declared to us by the venue and all charging will be arranged through them.

If you have a query regarding an existing venue or concert licence please contact us on 0345 300 6033 or email

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we will direct your query to the correct department so that they can contact you.

Walk-on Walk-off music at stand-up comedy shows (theatres, arenas and similar premises)

Following representations from some customers, PRS for Music has decided to introduce a Discretionary Charging Policy for stand-up comedy shows at theatres, arenas and similar venues (excluding clubs) at which the only act or acts are stand-up comedians, and the only music used during the show is for a very limited period (up to 5 minutes in total) for the walk-on walk-off of the comedians, i.e. no music is used within the artiste’s act.

As from 1st December 2014, such performances will no longer be licensed using the Tariff V rate, where we had applied the minimum rate under that tariff, 0.5% of gross receipts.

The charge to be applied will be 0.2% of the actual gross receipts from the stand-up comedy show.  Gross receipts means all monies paid or payable in respect of admission charges in connection with the performances, less library and party bookings discounts and Value Added Tax or any other Government tax or imposition of a like nature for the time being in force.

This is in recognition of the special nature of these performances where the music usage is minimal when compared to the full length of the show and not used within the artiste’s main act.

What is the process?

  1. PRS for Music will contact you ahead of your licence renewal date to obtain actual music details. We will use this information to calculate the charges due.
  2. Programme and set list forms can be submitted electronically (or posted) for all live performances of music under the relevant PRS for Music public performance tariff.

Are there any circumstances where I may not need a licence?

  • We do not control dramatico-musical works. Permission must be sought direct from the publisher or other copyright owner.
  • PRS for Music does not charge for music used at a recognised Service of Divine Worship in consecrated places of worship.
  • PRS for Music has a number of discretionary charging policies which define circumstances in which we choose not to make a charge for our licence.

*PRS for Music licenses cover the majority of music originating from the UK and all over the world. However, if you play music outside of PRS for Music’s control, you may need an additional licence from the relevant copyright owner(s). You will also require a TV licence if you are using a TV in your premises. In the unlikely event that all the music you play is out of copyright or is not controlled by PRS for Music, you do not need a PRS for Music licence. In some cases you may also require a licence from PPL. PPL collects and distributes royalties on behalf of record companies and performers. Further info at All music licences are required under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. It stipulates you must gain the permission of the copyright owner if you play music in public (anywhere outside the home environment).