How far back can I claim for music used?

If you've not received performing royalties that you were expecting, you can make a claim under PRS' rules for unpaid distributions for performances of your music in the following:

  • radio broadcasts
  • radio idents
  • TV programmes
  • TV idents
  • TV commercials
  • online
  • live events
  • cinema 

Unfortunately, if it's been longer than three years since you believe you should have been paid, we can't look into the claim for the unpaid distribution.

However, you have up to six years to claim mechanical royalties for music used in recorded media, such as on a CD or DVD.

If you haven't been a member that long, you can claim as far back as your official start date. Before that date, we weren't legally representing your rights, so can't collect any money. 

switching account

Switching your account...