Skip navigation links
Businesses and live events
Broadcast and online
Recorded media
Production music
Customer portal

Shops and stores 

Here at PRS for Music we provide music licences for shops and stores, giving you legal permission to play music on your premises to both staff and the public.

Music licences for shops and stores 

Playing music in shops and stores can help improve the customer experience.

Ninety-one percent of managers and business owners we asked agreed that playing music makes customers and staff happier. Ninety percent of customers say they are more likely to recommend a store that plays music.

We can help you become licensed to play music at your shop or store so you can reap the benefits music can bring.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

First name
Email address
Business postcode
Query type 
Preferred callback time 

Please let us know the nature of your query

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

What music is covered by our licence?

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

Want to know more about music licensing?

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have a dedicated tariff covering shops and stores.

Licence tariffs depend on:

  • the size of the area where you play music
  • how you play music (eg. in the background or fashion shows)
  • if music is played on hold

Please note, we offer a discretionary reduced rate for shops that only have computer game music playing in the background, if a number of criteria are met. Please call us to find out more.

There are other limited circumstances where, at our discretion, we choose not to charge for our licence. Read our policies for:

Tariff downloads

Existing customers

Pay your PRS for Music invoices quickly and securely online.

Pay an invoice
Difference between PRS and PPL


Do you know the difference between
PRS for Music and PPL?

Find out more
Follow us on M Magazine Twitter Facebook Linked In YouTube
© PRS for Music