Skip navigation links
Broadcast and online
Businesses and live events
Production music
Recorded media

Hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs


Do I need a licence?

If you play music in your business for your staff or customers, by law you need permission from the relevant copyright owners. But don’t worry, to get permission you simply need a licence from PRS for Music and in most cases, one from PPL too.


Who are PRS for Music and PPL?

PRS for Music collects and distributes licence fees for the use of musical compositions and lyrics on behalf of songwriters, composers and music publishers. PPL collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of record companies and performers.

In most instances, a music licence is required from both organisations when you play recorded music in public. More information can be found here.


How much does a licence cost? 

A number of factors determine how much businesses pay – these include the number of letting bedrooms, how you want to play music (for example, background, live or DJ) and whether music is played on hold to callers.

See our hotels, restaurants & cafés tariff 

See our music on hold tariff

There are limited circumstances where, at our discretion, we choose not to make a charge for our licence. See our discretionary charging policy for:

Private family events - (functions of a purely domestic or family nature, such as wedding receptions, christening parties or domestic birthday parties)

Wedding ceremonies, civil wedding ceremonies and civil partnership ceremonies

Small B&Bs - (Three guest bedrooms or fewer, with other qualifying criteria)


If you think you might not need to pay, please still contact us to ensure that you are covered by the policy.


How do I get a licence?

Call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our licensing team for a bespoke quote or to find out more. Lines are open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details here and we’ll contact you.


PRS for Music licences cover the majority of music originating from the UK and all over the world. However, if you play music outside of PRS for Music’s control, you may need an additional licence from the relevant copyright owner(s). You will also require a TV licence if you are using a TV in your premises. In the unlikely event that all the music you play is out of copyright or is not controlled by PRS for Music, you do not need a PRS for Music licence.
All music licences are required under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. It stipulates you must gain the permission of the copyright owner if you play music in public.


Benefits of using music

According to MusicWorks research, 78 percent of people agree that hearing music in a hotel makes them feel more relaxed.

Find out more about how music at work benefits your business 

Request a callback
Pay an Invoice
Connect with us M Magazine Twitter Facebook Linked In
© PRS for Music

PRS for Music moved in November 2014, which may affect the way you contact us. Visitgeneral enquiries to find out how to get in touch.