Skip navigation links
Businesses and live events
Broadcast and online
Recorded media
Production music
Customer portal


Here at PRS for Music we provide music licences for exhibitions and trade fairs, granting you legal permission to play music to staff and the public.

Music licences for exhibitions 

Music at trade fairs and exhibitions can be an essential part of the visitor experience, and has a positive impact on staff morale and productivity.

Seventy-nine percent of exhibition and trade fair organisers we asked agree music adds to the presentational power of their event. A further 73 percent say music is an important factor in creating the ideal atmosphere.

We can help you become licensed to play music at your exhibition or trade fair, and reap the benefits music can bring.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 6pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

First name
Email address
Business postcode
Query type 
Preferred callback time 

Please let us know the nature of your query

Do you need a licence?

If you, or anyone else, plays music for customers, visitors or staff, you need legal permission from the relevant copyright owners.

To get permission, simply take out a PRS for Music licence and, in most cases, one from PPL too.

What music is covered by our licence?

We are the UK's leading collecting society and part of a global network of societies. In most cases a licence from us gives those who want to use music the right to legally use millions of copyrighted songs and music compositions registered around the world.

Please note, you don't need a licence from us if you play music which is out of copyright or purchased from a royalty-free music library. Please contact us if you're unsure.

Want to know more about music licensing?

We collect and distribute licence fees for the use of music on behalf of our songwriter, composer and music publisher members.

Another UK society, PPL, collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of its performer and record company members.

In most cases, you will require a music licence from both of us when you play recorded music in public. Find out more about us here.

How is your licence fee calculated?

We have licensing tariffs which cover most types of exhibitions and trade fairs.

Licence tariffs depend on:

  • how you use music (eg. background music, live performers)
  • whether you play music on a stand or elsewhere at the exhibition
  • the facilities you provide (eg. a pub, bar or restaurant)

What's excluded?

Our exhibition tariff excludes other performances of music that take place at exhibition venues, for example in cafés, restaurants and bars or at discos and karaoke, which are chargeable under different tariffs.

The tariff also excludes cultural exhibitions at museums and art galleries, which are chargeable under different tariffs.

Please find your specific sector here.

Tariff downloads

Existing customers

Pay your PRS for Music invoices quickly and securely online.

Pay an invoice
Difference between PRS and PPL


Do you know the difference between
PRS for Music and PPL?

Find out more
Follow us on M Magazine Twitter Facebook Linked In YouTube
© PRS for Music