Skip navigation links
Broadcast and online
Businesses and live events
Production music
Recorded media


Pubs and bars


Do I need a licence?

If you play music in your business for your staff or customers, by law you need permission from the relevant copyright owners. But don’t worry, to get permission you simply need a licence from PRS for Music and in most cases, one from PPL too.


Who are PRS for Music and PPL?

PRS for Music collects and distributes licence fees for the use of musical compositions and lyrics on behalf of songwriters, composers and music publishers. PPL collects and distributes licence fees for the use of recorded music on behalf of record companies and performers.

In most instances, a music licence is required from both organisations when you play recorded music in public. More information can be found here.


How much does a licence cost?

A number of factors determine how much businesses pay – these include the size of premises, how you want to play music (for example, background, live or DJ) and whether music is played on hold to callers.

See our pub and bar tariff

See our music on hold tariff

See our hotels, restaurants & cafés tariff - (separate restaurants and letting bedrooms are not covered by our pub tariff)  

DJs or karaoke jockeys may need a ProDub Licence to copy music to be played at your venue. Please note, where they don’t have one, it may render your licence invalid.

How do I get a licence?

Call 0800 068 4828 to speak to our licensing team for a bespoke quote or to find out more. Lines are open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details here and we’ll contact you.


PRS for Music licences cover the majority of music originating from the UK and all over the world. However, if you play music outside of PRS for Music’s control, you may need an additional licence from the relevant copyright owner(s). You will also require a TV licence if you are using a TV in your premises. In the unlikely event that all the music you play is out of copyright or is not controlled by PRS for Music, you do not need a PRS for Music licence.
All music licences are required under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. It stipulates you must gain the permission of the copyright owner if you play music in public.


Benefits of using music

Research shows that wet sales increase by an average of £306 per day per venue when live music is used - this rises to £667 on Friday and Saturday nights (CGA Strategy Ltd).

Find out more about the research or for alternate research, please visit MusicWorks

Request a callback
Pay an Invoice
Connect with us M Magazine Twitter Facebook Linked In
© PRS for Music

PRS for Music moved in November 2014, which may affect the way you contact us. Visitgeneral enquiries to find out how to get in touch.