Skip navigation links
Businesses and live events
Broadcast and online
Recorded media
Production music
Customer portal

Local Authorities 

Whether playing music in a community hall, leisure facility or council-owned theatre, you will likely need a licence from PRS for Music if you are playing music controlled by us. A licence is required when the use of music is live, background, conditional upon an admission charge or restricted to employees. Our licence gives you the legal permission you need to play the songs you want.*

Music licenses for education

How can PRS for Music help me play music in a local authority building?

  • Submitting details of all music use during the past licence year, guarantees an accurate assessment of your fees.
  • You will have a hotline direct to music licensing specialists.

Watch our short animation video to learn more about what happens to your licence fee.

How are PRS for Music charges assessed?

We use over 40 tariffs to ensure suitable charges are applied. The tariffs which may relate to music in your local authority building are:

Additional charges may apply if you're playing music in other ways or areas:

Further information for copying, broadcasting or using music online.

Many of our tariffs have been negotiated with national trade associations or representative bodies. In a few cases, PRS for Music tariffs have been set by the Copyright Tribunal. PRS for Music will apply the nearest equivalent wherever particular performances do not fit the exact scope of a standard tariff.

How do I get a licence?

We provide bespoke licences tailored to your needs. Please call
0870 333 7003 to speak to our team so that we can ensure we're providing the best value for you. Lines are open 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.

Alternatively, fill in your details below and we'll contact you.

First name
Email address
Business postcode
Query type 
Preferred callback time 

Please let us know the nature of your query

What is the process?

Proprietors of local authority premises are primarily responsible for music use at all such premises under their control. For example, if they are the head of the youth service department, they must complete the music use schedule with details from all youth clubs/centres they are responsible for.

  • Local authorities must ensure that all premises they are    responsible for, and which are using copyright music, have the appropriate licences in place prior to music use. Please note that in most instances you will need a licence from both PRS for Music and PPL.
  • Full details for all premises at which music is used should be declared, as well as details of box office receipts for individual variety shows and popular and classical music concerts.
  • With regards to outdoor events that the local authority are going to assume responsibility for, these need to be declared during the annual review.
  • To avoid liability for music licence costs at outdoor events on local authority-managed spaces (e.g. parks or town centres), local authorities must follow our new process regarding events run by third parties and notify us prior to each event
  • Programme and set list forms can be submitted electronically (or posted) for all live performances of music under the relevant PRS for Music public performance tariff.


Are there any circumstances where I may not need a licence?

  • We do not control dramatico-musical works. Permission must be sought direct from the publisher or other copyright owner. 
  • PRS for Music does not charge for music used at a recognised Service of Divine Worship in consecrated places of worship.
  • Do you run a charity and community group? Find out more about the charity and community event discount scheme. 
  • PRS for Music has a number of discretionary charging policies which define circumstances in which we choose not to make a charge for our licence.

*PRS for Music licences cover the majority of music originating from the UK and all over the world. However, if you play music outside of PRS for Music’s control, you may need an additional licence from the relevant copyright owner(s). You will also require a TV licence if you are using a TV in your premises. In the unlikely event that all the music you play is out of copyright or is not controlled by PRS for Music, you do not need a PRS for Music licence. In some cases you may also require a licence from PPL. PPL collects and distributes royalties on behalf of record companies and performers. Further info at All music licences are required under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. It stipulates you must gain the permission of the copyright owner if you play music in public (anywhere outside the home environment).

Follow us on M Magazine Twitter Facebook Linked In YouTube
© PRS for Music