Types of agreement
Writer to publisher:
- Exclusive Songwriter Agreement - covers all the writer's music
- Specific Agreement - a specific piece of music is covered
- Part-Catalogue Agreement - a collection of the writer's music is covered
PRS for Music will not accept agreements that entitle the publisher to more than a 50% performance income share.
Publisher to publisher:
- General Catalogue Agreement - covers all works in a catalogue
- Part Catalogue Agreement - a collection of the publisher's music is covered
- Administration Agreement - covers an entire catalogue but does not assign rights
- Specific Agreement - covers a specific piece of music
Publishers do not have to tell writers if they enter into an agreement with another publisher (such as to administer their repertoire overseas).
When publisher members register works they need to provide an agreement number. New agreements can be registered online if you have an online account. Full details on registering agreement numbers can be found in the Online Services section of our Help Centre.
Writers and publishers should send 'confirmation of an agreement termination' to us.
Many agreements contain retention clauses which enable publishers to retain the rights to the works covered by the agreement beyond the termination date.
A Legal Referral Service is available for members